Sunday, November 7, 2010

Long time no write. I got a job, I moved to a new city, and I've been working for about two months now. Whew!

I e-mailed Andy Tulleners, a man who has become the head fencing coach at Cleveland State. I remember fencing him and his brother at Columbus tournaments when I was growing up. They were real fun to fence--both of them had plenty of tricks up their sleeves. It's good to see Andy still throwing steel.

I'm leery of the other fencing clubs--I'm just not used to paying an arm and a leg for lessons, and I'm not used to going into a club to take lesson after lesson--as much as I used to fence I have no idea what it's like to go through a "curriculum." Many fencing coaches have a classical air to them, one that does not sit well with me. I should probably get over it so I can at least have a coach.

Besides, there are a lot of classical principles that I'm sure I don't have in my repertoire. I learned a counter-six flick before I learned a basic bind.

Anyway... glad to find a contact. Gonna start with CSU. We'll see where it goes from there.

No comments: